Take your students to Mars in an out-of-this-world exploration of energy generation and use. This full-day adventure builds students’ understanding of energy concepts, including renewable energy, while strengthening their skills in experimentation, design, and engineering. They’ll take basic concepts of energy and see how they are applied through interactive exhibits in the Destination Space and Powering Change galleries, and bring it altogether with an exciting engineering challenge: Design, build, and test a device that runs on solar energy power in order to help astronauts live on Mars.
Students will …
- Learn about kinetic versus potential energy
- Demonstrate energy transfer and electricity generation principles
- Construct solutions, apply data, test, and revise designs and construction
- Develop and test solutions to real world problems
- Explore opportunities in Solar Energy: How do we harness it and convert it to other uses? Which aspects of solar design and technology are key to effective electricity generation?